The Nursery Lessons

The Nursery Lessons ode

The Nursery Lessons odeUploaded by CP RAJASEKHARAN

Neither a coaching class nor experience,
We had in baby-sitting, feeding and
Cleaning little kids; but managed, somehow,
With the limited knowledge, we played it;
The little one kept me and my wife,
Always active and alert, we never went out.

We bathed, played, ate and slept
Along with the child, not knowing the
Seasons changed, time and again;
Then sprouted the second one
And then the third, that made us,
Well experienced father and mother at home.

In the revival and continuity of nature,
We grew, saved, and kept on bringing up
Our family-tree, with more branches and buds.
I forgot to pray, as usual, working for family,
And working for the public, with a positive sense,
They need to enrich themselves, in society.

We could no longer spare time, to be
In queue, in front of any shrine; and
I considered, my ‘work, itself, as worship’.
Same I trained my girls, various ways to work
For themselves and for others, to keep
This nature the temple, get enlightened.

The best way, I taught, for them to live
Intelligently and joyful; is working for,
The happiness of others, they are doing it,
Working hard, complementing the world,
To live and let others live safely, with no enmity,
To anyone; they have learned from me,

Not taught to revenge upon any cause,
Nor did I teach selfishness or arrogance;
They were brought up in the ambience of love,
Taking and giving tolerance, and peace,
As they have to live, happily as good friends,
Have to help neighbours, to be helped by all.

Taught to coordinate, their colleagues,
Their social group, plants and animals,
Wherever they are in the world, to live;
Taught no cheating, robbery, or flattering,
Not known, anger loath and brutality,
They have sympathy and empathy alone.

They studied to serve and cooperate with
Their classmates and masters to include
Everyone in their prayers and I taught them,
Dislikes and differences, are to be ignored,
The have to earn only needful, limited wealth,
Health and wisdom, to share, not crossing limits;

Make others happy first, the better way to
Share happiness, to live in harmony,
I taught them not to pray, just for one’s own
Innings, but pray for others to enlighten all;
Not from texts, I taught, but doing ourselves,
Kids won’t follow texts, but their Dad and Mom.

—————–

Rate the poem
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (1 votes, average: 3.00 out of 5)
We are posting your rating...

Have something to say about the poem?

CP RAJASEKHARAN

Signup / Login to follow the poet.
CP RAJASEKHARANBorn, in an Indian village, as the son of Purushothaman Nair & Parukutty Amma of Ernakulam dist. of Kerala state. Completed school education from the Govt. LP School, Nanthiattukunnam, Govt. High School, and SNV. Sanskrit High School, North Parur. Then graduated from the Government Sanskrit College, and did the post graduation from the University College, Thiruvananthapuram of Kerala University. Later received an additional degree in Education from the Govt.Training College, Thrissur of Calicut University.Associated with the Gandhian ideology and the Sarvodaya Movement ( prosperity and welfare for all ) of Gandhi Peace Foundation; and was elected as the leader of the children’s group, in the village, at the age of 13; and started participating in social activities from the very early age of child hood.Elected as the school leader, while studying in the 10th class of SNV Sanskrit High School. Started working with student union and elected as the magazine editor, arts club secretary, general secretary and chairman of the college union continuously in the college election of Govt. Sanskrit College Thiruvananthapuram, getting an opportunity to have active participation in the literary and social platforms of the student community, and attended student-teacher inter actions with the authorities and educational institutions throughout the college life. Staged the first play, at the age of five and started acting as a child artist in famous plays presented by the professional theaters of the state. Started writing scripts for amateur children’s theater groups at the young age itself, associating with various theater groups in schools, colleges and in the local arts-clubs and started publishing stories and poems in school-college magazines and local publications. The whole college life was spent experimenting with plays in the open theater forums, along with the professional actors and theater activists of the State, along with the literary and social activities, as a best student, an all-rounder. The Sanskrit education tempted to get closer with world classics and the college education in Trivandrum was an opportunity to have association with reputed professors and famous writers, who inspired reading books of great writers of the literary world ; it was from the college life, that the flavor of literature was noticed by the professors and was encouraged in that line. Also elected as the president of the Youth wing of Gandhi Peace Foundation of Gandhi Smarak, Thiruvananthapuram while studying for post graduation, that gave space and time to work for the poor and needy at a young age itself. Started the career as a teacher, in Kozhikode Sanskrit Vidya Peeth, Kallai Ganapath High School and Mavoor Rayon’s High School, teaching Sanskrit language and literature, and Indian philosophy; And started speaking on philosophy, aesthetics, and other social subjects, as an orator, all over the state. Studied English literature, philosophy, and psychology, in the mean time, by own effort, and took an additional Post graduate diploma in psychological counseling from the Kerala university to support the Radio - TV counseling programs. Conducting child, adult and family counseling, for the last 20 years, apart from the official assignments, working extra time, to uplift the mental faculty of the young people to get them motivated and to bring back them to the normal life by giving motivation therapy and psycho therapy, as a charitable free service, associating with hospitals and educational institutions and social organizations all over the State. One mobile phone is fully dedicated for public service and made accessible to all who need free help or advice or counseling of any sort ; and the very needy and poor who need personal help are treated and served at home. Started rescuing and rehabilitating, isolated and neglected children at home, giving confidence and living environment.Joined All India Radio with a career in electronic media and worked for Radio & TV, in various capacities from the post of Program announcer to the post of director of Radio & TV, serving 35 years, covering almost all states of India, winning national and international reputation in scripting directing and producing Radio & TV programs. Joining with radio profession, compelled to write and do productions with innovative ideas that could capture the listeners’ appreciation, as radio was the only entertaining media, then, reaching every home; And the first full-fledged, perfect play, '' Homam '' (The Oblation’ ) was broadcast, receiving much appreciation and then followed the broadcast and publication of a lot of creative works. Writing poetry, lyrics, musical features, documentaries and plays, became a part of the job and then the creative writing was flourished by publishing articles, columns, poems, stories and plays in various newspapers from 1976 onwards. The first book, (Three Old Men) published in 1986, on the old-age agony, received the Literary Academy Award of the State, and followed by other awards and reputation, as a well-established dramatist and poet. Received Kerala Sahithya Academy Award, Kerala Sangeet Natak Academy Award, State Television Award, Akasvani National awards (10 times) Best Public Service Broadcaster Award of India, and International Radio Nomination from Iran etc.. After retiring from AIR, invited bi the Indira Gandhi National Open University to be the Station Head of its Broadcasting wing for 5 years and then served as the Editor of a Malayalam News paper, ''Suprabhatham'', for one year. Presently working for the Sangeet Natak Academi, Delhi, as the Tagore National Scholar, preparing a unique Encyclopedia on the performing arts of India, under the Tagore National Fellowship scheme.
Poems you will love

Give your feedback / review for the poem

2 Comments on "The Nursery Lessons"

Notify of
avatar
Sort by:   newest | oldest
Aloke
Member

A fine poem containing brilliant aphorism.

Dr.Indu Nautiyal
Member

The poem offers a nice reading , the best way to meaningful upbringing ,surely , it is through example and not precept that the values are effectively translated into lasting habits and can be made part of character and personality .Those parents are truly blessed who perform their parental obligations this way , and prepare their children to be ideal members of the society .

wpDiscuz

Literary Lessons

Literary Lessons prose poem

Literary Lessons #1: A poet should above all be devoted not to being copyrighted, but quoted. #2: Divine inspiration is no excuse for bad poetry. #3: In literary style, I endeavor to follow in the footsteps of Dickens, Poe, Dickinson

Lessons For The Evening

Lessons For The Evening long poem

Good evening, class. Tonight we will discuss the urban environment of American cities, the neighborhoods, hoods & enclaves Of a collection of people, some who step carefully over glass- covered sidewalks & play in Needle-filled parks, who avoid the homeless

Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned short poem

I learned how to earn a person’s respect, By being proud of all the life’s I have wrecked. I learned how to trust and to always believe, By assuring I always set out to deceive. I learned how to love

The Lessons Of Time

The Lessons Of Time long poem

Wearily wandering, silently by The dreams and the wishes of yesterday’s sky, Remembering far away promises made Just pieces of flotsam adrift in the shade, Like explorers of truthfulness they travel on, Until every connection with yesterday is gone, And